Saturday, August 1, 2015

Portrait of Gender Activist. Profile of B-Gifted Foundation Youth Leader and Volunteer

  

My Name is Elizabeth Brewah and I am a community activist helping women and young girls, in  my community called the Malama community. The Malama community is along Regents Road Lumley in Freetown. It is found at the tail end of a long road. It is a small community linking up different communities like
Ø Kamayama Community
Ø Kainingo Community
Ø Hill Station Extension
Ø Engine Community
Ø Juba Hill Extension
From my community and my house to be precise, you will see the Kabbasa Lodge building, the Choitram hospital and many big government buildings. My community is known to be one of the places that people experience the most rain during the raising season in Western Freetown.


I come from a small family. My mum is a teacher and has taught for over 15 years. No doubt, her career has inspired me to take up the challenge of educating and empowering young girls in my community. 
I am the last of three girls of which my elder sister is Yeatie Brewah. My second sister is Rachel Kemah Brewah. I was born on the 16th June, 1987.
I found time to volunteer with B-Gifted whilst looking to impact others and also in search of a job. I have dreams of pursuing nursing or intending to be a lawyer someday.
At present, I am also volunteering for LIFE Sierra Leone, Kick Ebola Sierra Leone and B-Gifted , where I aim to gain experience, be exposed and create a change mostly among women and girls in my generation.

My determination to be innovative and to help young girls and women also gain the education, skills and knowledge they need to improve their lives and families comes from my belief that women can take care of families better as they are central to the development of every successful household and families. It has also led me to  spend some of my time teaching.
In my years in education and service, I was a teacher at the SOS Harmann Geirmer International School, SOS Village Beach Road Lumley. The Institution was founded by a Gernab Harmann Geirmer who had a dream of feeding, clothing and educating orphans. This vision started in the early 60s, and it is being spread in over 16 countries. It has it National Head Quarters here in Sierra Leone along beach Road and its being headed by a National Director and the School Principal.

  
I have served as their chair-lady for about two years now, co-coordinating meetings, outing and different kinds of individual and group celebrations within the country with our individual contributions. I have also promoted individual psychological counseling, problem solving among us.

I am presently involved with a set of young people from different works of life with the aim of sharing ideas together, happy moment and sad moments together. They are all engaged in different works of life. Amongst the group of young people are a video journalist, a gospel artist, a lawyer, a business man.

4 comments:

  1. I hope young girls and women in our society especially my community can wake up from their sleeps and slumbers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello friends,

    I greet you in the name of peace, love and humanity.

    Its being a while since I last send posted, life for girls in Sierra Leone has being from the frying pan to the fire, that is from marginalisation to rape, from early marriage to Ebola pregnant girls.
    What can we do? How can we help these girls to have a better and sustainable life? What difference can we make in their lives?
    The ball is in our court..............take the bull by the horn and make a change now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My story, from a teacher to a HEAD OF SCHOOLS

    When i left the SOS Hermann Germiner School i almost gave up in looking for a job in wanting to make a move in life but fortunately i saw an advert on facebook from We Yone Child Foundation, looking for a Head of Schools which i was fortunate to get. Here i am today not just working with schools, but also teachers, pupils and parents from different homes, different cultures, different backgrounds. It has being a wonderful experience!!!

    My work started with the schools effectively in August, 2015. Awesome experience!!!We Yone Child Foundation is having two schools and presently working on building the other school at Upper George Brook, Temple of Faith- George Brook School had a number of up to 450 kids and Kroo Bay which was running as a lesson from 2:00-5:00PM had 250 kids ranging from classes 1-6. The children from both schools were very welcoming and as a first time direct worker with kids, i found it very interesting as we had our play times, school times and Christmas party which was a blast!!!! Whooooooooo oooooo it was really a blast.

    Finally in 2016, TRAINING AND REAL SCHOOL YEAR!!!!
    2016 January started with a training and the launching of the Kroo Bay formal school.
    First time ever to host, organize and facilitate a training for my teachers, our teachers..... 14 of them in training on:
    Classroom Management
    Classroom rules and regulations
    Guidance and Counseling
    and many other topics relating to school and classroom management.
    Since our schools reopened on the 8th,there have being a lot success story all boiling up to HEAD OF SCHOOLS carrying the big cap......9 taking the National Primary School Examination, over all passes from our first test and now we are ready for our second test.


    Ladies don't sit back and cry yourself down. Take the bull by the horn, this year is our year....WOMEN HOLD YOUR HEADS UP HIGH AND CREATE A CHANGE IN YOUR COMMUNITY, SOCIETY AND NATION AS A WHOLE. This is just me.....what about you???? Help other!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This true story of Elizabeth Brewah, a young lady who climbed the ladder of progress through hard work is one that speaks volumes of young women in Sierra Leone who are really make a difference. As we reflect on the Internatioal women's day, we celebrate the untold stories of rising young women who are changing their own lives and those of others through education, peace, human rights, activism and strength of courage.

    ReplyDelete